While I promote a lot of big-box retailers, it’s important for us to reflect on how we spend our money. It can often be an indicator of the types of values, people, and institutions we support. This holiday season, intentionally diversify the ways in which you spend your money. Invest in small businesses, invest in BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) owned businesses, invest in women-owned businesses. Today, I’m making it easy and convenient to shop products from BIPOC-owned businesses. During a year that has been difficult for so many, please consider shining a light on these incredible businesses:
- Vegan Whipped Skin Soufflé (from Beneath Your Mask): A luxe body cream intended to hydrate your skin and reduce the appearance of stretch marks. This product was an Allure Best of Beauty award winner in 2019.
- Cedar and Vanilla Candle (from 228 Grant Street Candle Co.): Candles always make a great gift! This candle is hand-poured in Baltimore with natural soy derived from domestically grown soy beans for an eco-friendly, clean burn. Uses a lead-free cotton wick primed with vegetable based wax and premium grade fragrance oil. No added dyes or chemicals! They also offer many other scents!
- Face Mask Chain (from Silked): A handmade gold-dipped chain that clasps onto your face mask. Similar to a chain for your sunglasses! Such a fun little accessory to gift someone this year. Also from a women-owned business!
- Lust Lip Gloss (Pat McGrath Lab): An affordable lip gloss with over 500 positive reviews on Sephora! It comes in 26 varieties!
- Brilliant or BS?: A card games that’s a combination of trivia and bluffing!
- Leather Bookmark: A leather bookmark stamped with the quote, “Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.”
- Whole Coffee Beans 3-Pack (from Red Bay): A 3-pack of artisanal, ethically-sourced coffee beans from an Oakland-based company.
- Headbands (from The Wrap Life): Ribbed headbands hand-dyed in an assortment of colors to complement a diverse range of skin tones.
- Coasters (from from MadeByRheal): Set of 4 hand-poured, charcoal concrete and gold coasters with a cork bottom.
- Lipstick Trio (from Mented): A trio of semi-matte lipsticks featured in “Oprah’s Favorite Things!”
- Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Hair Mask (from Briogeo): A top rated hair mask that helps combat damage. This clean beauty product is an Allure Best of Beauty winner.
- Hexagon Earrings (from AHoleyMoleyLyfe): These dainty brass earrings will make an excellent gift! This Etsy shop has nearly 1,500 reviews with a 5 star rating.
- Green Tea Mint Cooling Soap Bar (from Minor Obsession): This brand produces small batch soaps! A handful of scents are currently stocked: Green Tea Mint, Lavender and Sage, Golden Hour, Charcoal Vetiver, and Gentle Oatmeal! All soaps are vegan, cruelty free, and made from clean ingredients.